25 October 2009

Homemade All Natural Face Wash

A friend asked what I was doing with the rest of my evening and I told her with excitement about the body products I was making.

"I've heard that homemade ones are just as rough on your skin as the natural ones," she said.
"I don't know whether that's true or not. But my reasons for doing as to cut down on my consumption. I also don't want to keep buying something for $25 all the time when I can make it with ingredients I readily keep at home, and I want to cut down on my waste," I said.
"That's true," she said.

And I hoped that in that small conversation, some of my granola tendencies were started to spread. :)

Tonight, I tried the face cleanser that I found on What Would Ginger Do.

Ingredients
  • 4 ounces of grapeseed oil
  • 1 ounce of lemon juice
  • 2 ounces of raw apple cider vinegar
  • 1 ounce of agave nectar
  • 15 drops of tea tree oil
  • 5 drops of lavender oil
Preparation
  • Mix everything together
  • Store in the refriderator
  • Shake well before each use. (do not get it into your eyes and do not ingest it.)
Usage
  • Twice every day, moisten your skin with warm water
  • Squeeze a teaspoon of the cleanser in your hand
  • Massage into your skin on your face and neck for 30 to 60 seconds.
  • Rinse off with a clean soft cloth and warm water.
 I kind of split the recipe by 1/3 or 1/4. I can't really remember which because I lost track of my calculations and that probably explains why my version seemed overly lemony. I cut down the recipe because I didn't want to make a lot, in case it sucked. (Just being honest)



From what I can remember I used about ......

2 tablespoons of grapeseed oil (had it in the house because i use it for my hair)
1 tablespoon of lemon juice (i usually keep lemons in the house for my citrus chicken recipe. Although I'm going to have to figure out a veggie version of that)

1 tablespoon of raw apple cider
almost 1 tablespoon of agave nectar
10 drops of tea tree oil
5 drops of lavendar oil



Trust me my recipe was all off. You should keep better measurements if you try this. I made the concoction in an old cream cheese fruit dip container. (one point for repurposing a container)

Mix it all together and apply to your face.




This isn't the best picture of my face but for the purpose of showing you how it works and whatnot, I took various pictures. (my hair is pinned back weirdly, because I'm just trying to keep it off my face). This picture is with the cleanser on my face.


I still had face cleanser leftover, so I squeezed it into an empty grapeseed oil container. (another point for me for reusing something else!)

And that has been placed in my fridge...after I relabeled it so I didn't forget that its not just grapeseed oil in it.

REVIEW

I thought the cleanser was going to be a bit watery but when I put it in my hand, it was a little thicker than I thought. Perhaps that was the agave nectar that gave it the "face wash" consistency. Despite the fact that it was thicker than I thought it was, I wish it was a bit more creamy or soapy. After I've used all of this mix, I'll try and find another recipe.

It smelled a little too lemony to me. But I believe that's because I lost count of my measurements and should have put less lemon juice in it.

After I washed my face off, my face felt very fresh and I could smell the tea tree and grapeseed oil. It was subtle.

No comments: