21 October 2009

350 - International Day of Climate Action


I recently signed up to participate in the International Day of Climate Action, also know as 350.
This is all being done to build up awareness and action in regards to the Climate Change Conference being held in Copenhagen hosted by the United Nations. I had no clue what 350 meant in regards to global warming but I found a simple explanation on their website.

350 is the number that leading scientists say is the safe upper limit for carbon dioxide—measured in "Parts Per Million" in our atmosphere. 350 PPM—it's the number humanity needs to get back to as soon as possible to avoid runaway climate change.

 So what is to do done? Well all across the world various events are taking place as a way to build up awareness and to spur action from those in positions to enact legislative change on an international level.
On the website I found two things I was interested in participating in. I've RSVP'd for both events.





While I'm still in the process of formulating how I as a Theater Artist and Stage Manager can exemplify sustainable behavior, I find it easier as to work on as a Writer and Collage Art Journaler.

One of the events calls for 350 poems to be written by October 24th. I wish I had known about this sooner. The poems are to be 3 to 5 lines long. This is so simple and the length allows for me to muse on my small thoughts as a writer. I keep trying to figure out one act plays I can write on the subject matter and I find it challenging. Creating all sorts of short poems however is a more manageable feat. If Tennessee Williams serves as inspiration, those poems can grow into stories which can grow in to plays. (Just about ever one of his full length plays actually began as short stories. I recommend reading his short stories!) I digress. I've submitted two quick poems for now and my goal is to submit 35! (I know. Crazy right!) I encourage you to participate too. All poems should be send to 350poems at gmail dot come, so they can be featured on 350poems. If you do submit poetry, go back to the 350 website and register so that your participation is noted.

 The Unknown
my sister, having been raised in Texas
has never known snow.
i wonder, what else will she never know.

The Sun
The sun will rise
of that I am sure
shall we experience its glory?
of that, I do not know.

(I just reread the rules of the poetry submitted and its NOT 3 to 5 lines, its suppose to be 3.5 lines. I'm going to keep my poems above but for the future ones, I will pay attention to their request.)






The other event that intrigues me is the Chicago 350 International Climate Action Day bike ride.
This event will take place on Saturday from 12pm to 4pm. This group event will cycle around the city riding past many of the other 350 action day events. The will be meeting at Daley Plaza, on Dearborn and Washington. The organizer of this event wrote....

We'll ride all over Chicago, first going to the Fisk Coal Power Plant on Cermak, where Greenpeace and the Sierra Club, among other organizations, have organized a protest against this plant, one of the dirtiest coal power plants in America. From there we'll ride on, covering as much of this city as possible, spreading the message behind the International Day of Climate Action.

This will be good for me. A four hour bike ride all over the city. Perhaps it will spur me to ride my bike more often...even to work. Especially considering that thus far the most challenge part of the No Impact Project has been decreasing my climate footprint through transportation.

I encourage you to look through their website and find events and actions that interest you the most. Sign up for them. RSVP. and then DO something!

No comments: