But I'm also looking to make homemade shower gel, body butter, face moisturizer, mouthwash and pretty much anything else that I use. I keep saying I refuse to give up my perfumes because no one does it like Marc Jacobs but Sam made a good point in a recent conversation and maybe I'll consider using oils instead. I would save over $50+ but I love how Marc Jacob smells!!!! Can someone make a Marc Jacobs substitute with essential oils? I will pay you!
Any hoo! My goal is to pretty much make many of the products I am buying, including my cleaning products. I'm not focusing on those just yet because I still have more than half of a bottle of most of the things. But I am running out of mouth wash. And I found a recipe.
Now for toothpaste, most websites are saying to just use baking soda. Dip your brush in either water or mouthwash and then dip it in the baking soda and then brush your teeth. Simple! Uber cheap! More sustainable!
I found Homemade Spearmint Mouthwash on Ultimate Cosmetics.
You will need
- 6 ounces water
- 2 ounces vodka
- 4 teaspoons liquid glycerine (is liquid glycerine the same as vegetable glycerin? if so, I have all the ingredients at home except the vodka)
- 1 teaspoon aloe vera gel
- 10-15 drops Spearmint essential oil
- Boil water and vodka,
- add glycerine and aloe vera gel.
- Remove from the heat, let cool slightly.
- Add spearmint oil, shake well.
- Pour into bottle, cap tightly.
I found the following three recipes on Associated Content. Cinna-minty Mouthwash.
- 2 cups water
- 3 drops cinnamon oil
- 3 drops spearmint oil
- 3 drops peppermint oil
- 3 or 4 drops tea tree oil
- 1 tsp vodka
- Swish this in your mouth for 30 to 60 seconds and rinse. Be sure not to swallow! It's pleasant, but strong!
- Best kept in a sealed glass bottle or jar.
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 drop pure peppermint oil
- 1 drop tea tree oil
- 2 oz. water
- Mix well, then swish for a few seconds and rinse.
- 1 oz Cloves
- 3 oz. Rosemary
- Glass Jar with lid
- 2 cups water
- Boil the water in a saucepan.
- While cooking the water place the Rosemary and Cloves in the jar.
- When water comes to a boil, pour it in the jar with the herbs and allow to steep overnight.
- Drain and use the next morning.